Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Saint Anejo-The Gulch

January 14, 2014 Saint Anejo

The majority of my adventurous eating happens at girls night, which is just a group of girls who gets together once a week and eats and drinks.  Picture sex in the city, but way more boring because we are all married/engaged/in serious relationships.  We eat, we laugh, we drink...its a great time.  

Okay on to the food review.  We arrived at 7pm on a Tuesday and had to wait for 30 minutes.  Saint Anejo doesn't take reservations which is a downside, but they have a nice big bar you could stand at and get a drink or just chat.  In the summer, the windows can come up and it becomes a big open outdoor space, which will be nice when it isn't 30 degrees outside!

After we were sat, the majority of us started with Sangria Roja...the red sangria.  It was good, however, I never like when my drink accessory to beverage ratio is high.  In other words, more ice/fruit than beverage.  It was pretty fruity and sweet, but I just wanted a little bit more sangria for $7.50.
Sangria roja 
The Queso Fundido was AMAZING.  I have an intense relationship with all quesos, and this one did not disappoint.  They prepare it at your table, and add chorizo, jalapenos, and a few other things that I don't remember.  It is also served with warm corn tortillas!  It really was delicious, but as the cast iron pot cooled, the cheese got a little hard to eat because it became kind of gloopy. (Think stringy mozzarella). You also get free chips and three different kinds of salsa for free! The chips were warm, and salty, and delicious, and all three of the salsas were pretty good.  I don't exactly remember, but I think there was a green, a pico, and then another dark red.  (Descriptive I know :))
Queso Fundido
 My friend Abby and I shared the special of the day which was the Chimichanga.  It is a flour tortilla stuffed with beef, chorizo, and peppers, deep fried and smothered with chorizo queso.  It was definitely big enough to share! I appreciate her enthusiasm for our meal!  Also, for those of you who watch the show Nashville, the pretty blond girl named Scarlett was sitting at the table right next to us.  You can see her long blond hair behind Abby! I've lived in Nashville for 4 years, and this was my 3rd celebrity sighting ever...so I was pretty pumped.
My friend Abby giving a thumbs up to our chimichanga (spot the celeb in the background) 
Chimichanga with chorizo, peppers, and smothered in queso

My friend Anne got the tequila lime chicken tacos.  They come sort of fajita style with the chicken in a cast iron skillet, and pickled peppers on the side.  You can also choose corn or flour tortillas.

Tequila lime chicken tacos
Abby and I also shared a side of Mexican street corn.  It is delicious, and I think if I learned how to make this, my fiance would give me the future wife of the year award.  It is grilled corn, with a creamy tomatillo like sauce with crumbled cheese.  It is really unique and flavorful!

Mexican street corn 
Christina got the shrimp tacos! I had ordered a shrimp taco my previous visit, and I loved them! She said they were just as delicious this time around!
Shrimp tacos with corn tortillas 
We wanted a picture of 'Scarlett' (not sure on her real name), and so Anne took this of Abby (winky face).
Do you recognize Scarlett from the show Nashville? (Thanks for modeling Abbs!)
 The waiters were extra nice and friendly, and my water glass was never empty!  I'm not sure if we were getting extra nice treatment because we were sitting next to a famous person, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
The queso is prepared table side, and the staff was extra enthusiastic!
Overall, I would give Saint Anejo an A! The food is good and the atmosphere was festive.  I am generally a very big fan of M Street restaurants.  They also own Virago (sushi), Kayne Prime (steak), Whisky Kitchen (southern-ish food, pizzas), and Tavern (American?).  I have eaten at all of these restaurants as well and have never had a bad meal! They are on the pricier end of Nashville restaurants however.  My check with tax and tip came to around $25!  I should also mention on our way out we saw that every Wednesday is two for one cocktails and half price tacos!! So go on a Wednesday!!!

Happy Noming Nashville!

Saint AƱejo on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment