Monday, January 20, 2014

Silo-Germantown (And IHOP-West Nashville)

January 19, 2014

I had brunch at Silo on Sunday at 11:00, and I have come to terms with my feeling that Silo just is not my favorite brunch place in Nashville.  This is my second time to brunch here and both times I have been underwhelmed.  The menu had a breakfast skillet, a chef's omelet, a bowl of oatmeal, pulled pork eggs Benedict (which I will try if I ever find myself brunching here again), and the hot chicken sliders.  I think there were a few more things but this is all I can remember.

I asked the waitress what she would choose between the pulled pork Benedict, and the hot chicken sliders, and she said those were the best two things on the menu, but the hot chicken is out of this world.  I am a lover of all things, hot, spicy, chicken, and I also enjoy trips to other worlds, so I decided upon the hot chicken sliders. (The other girls at my table chose omelets, skillets, and one girl chose the oatmeal).

Hot Chicken Sliders. 
The above picture is how they came, and needless to say I was excited! They look delicious...but that is where the delight stops.  The chicken wasn't tangy hot, or buffalo-y hot, it was like my fried chicken dived into a bloody vat of jalapenos.  At one point the sauce stuck to the back of my throat and I thought I would have to drink 10 glasses of water.  Plus the 'biscuits' on the bottom were SO DRY that they sucked up the moisture your mouth needed to process the chicken.  The slaw was fine but nothing that I will dream about at night.

Also, as I looked around at the other girls meals, I wasn't jealous.  Nothing looked spectacular.  And it is one of those places where if you want sides (like potatoes or grits) you have to order them separately. The omelet came with 3 thin slices of honeydew melon.

I will admit, I have been to Silo at dinnertime, and got a really yummy burger and a tasty desert as I remember!  So I will continue to try Silo for my evening meal, but just not for brunch!  As an aside, here is a picture of my Breakfast at IHOP the morning before with my fiancĂ©.

Garden Omelet with a side of bananas foster french toast and Country Omelet with a side of harvest grain and nut pancakes.

It was actually less expensive, more food, and more delicious than Silo.  I ALWAYS like to try new things, but my point is trusty IHOP did not disappoint on Saturday!

So in short- SKIP Silo for brunch, I give it a C- (barely passing).  If anyone is wondering right across the street is Germantown Cafe, and one street over is Monells, and their breakfasts are two of my favorite in all of Nashville!

Happy Noming Nashville!

Sarah



Silo on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment